It is wrong that we live in a system where full-time workers live below the poverty line, while big businesses make record profits. It’s time that people are fairly compensated for the work that they do. I will fight for working families by increasing job readiness and workforce development, and supporting small businesses instead of big corporate tax breaks. I will elevate the North State as a place for businesses to start and grow.
- Increase availability of career and technical education locally, with localized specialties (for example Susanville needs heavy equipment operators to manage their forests), including online courses, satellite campus, and partnerships for workforce and economic development
- Invest in infrastructure development (roads and broadband) to bring in new industries, and prioritize the use of local businesses in infrastructure improvements and other government spending projects
- Incentivize industries to come to areas where we have ready talent pools of skilled workers and graduates from community college and career and technical education programs
- Job creation in the healthcare field through fully funding VA and Medicare for all
- Job creation through supporting advances in clean energy, sustainable forestry, and technology fields
- Support workers’ rights to organize and bargain
- Increase minimum wage so that full-time workers do not live below the poverty line, and then tie minimum wage to inflation increases, so that it keeps up with changes over time. Assist small businesses by assessing the financial impact of the wage increase, and providing them support or tax breaks